Scientific Product Development
Verbal & Written Communications · Marketing and Selling Acumen · Product Management Skills · Strong Analytical Capabilities · Pricing Strategy Innovations · Database Design Expertise · Contract Negotiations Experience · External & Internal Support · Presentation Proficiency · Global Network
Expertise in creating and implementing focused strategies to structure and design bibliographic services and tools for scientific research resulting in innovative new products and enhanced marketplace opportunities.
2001 – 2010
Senior Product Manager
RefWorks-COS (a division of ProQuest)
2007 – 2010
Managed existing funding and collaboration tools used by Office of Research in academic global marketplace identifying new business opportunities for market. Product range: non-bibliographic information services and tools for research administrators.
- Conducted numerous win/loss interviews to assess product acceptance of new product by identifying competitive issues and product usage issues: increased title coverage by 28% in first three months.
- Worked with clients to develop and implement specifications for numerous improvements to the COS Funding Opportunities interface and content with the result of improving renewal rates.
- Created sales training modules for Account Managers and Executives, assuring knowledgeable presentations for complex and nontraditional products by a constantly changing sales team.
CSA Life Sciences
2004 – 2007
Maintained 49 databases and created innovative new products and services in natural sciences intended for use by academic scientific community.
- Four new products introduced in 4 years:
- CSA Illustrata: Natural Sciences (2007) 2008 CODiE award winner
- Environmental Impact Statements full text (2006) 2008 CODiE award finalist
- GeoScience World (2005)
- Designed BioOne on CSA Illumina platform (2004)
- Increased revenue by 15% each year for 4 years.
- Maintained an excellent and productive working relationship with CSA publishing partners.
CSA Business Development, Europe (Oxford, UK)
2001 – 2004
Expanded sales in new and growing marketplace:
- Increased CSA European sales by 75% over 3 years by increasing sales team and managing several new content acquisitions.
- Added valuable reporting organization to office that streamlined pipeline tracking and sales bookings.
Owner and President
Hoffman Information Services (HIS)
1998 – 2001
Provided consulting services on a variety of publishing issues with a proven expertise in pricing and licensing of electronic products, marketing and product development. HIS also provided extensive services in areas of market research and competitive intelligence.
Vice President, Marketing, Sales and Distribution
1992 – 1998
Directed all revenue generation, product development, publication and distribution of varied product line including print, online, CD-ROM and Internet products.
- Established new pricing paradigm for all BIOSIS products resulting in a revenue gain.
- Successfully negotiated new vendor contracts and consortium licenses that better positioned BIOSIS for faster and more economical delivery of new electronic products reducing production costs vastly.
- Created direct sales and educational programs worldwide to refocus marketing efforts resulting in even migration from print to electronic service minimizing revenue loss.
- Invested heavily in creating new product development group skilled in market research, costing and development of new products. This group successfully introduced three library products and new end-user product which opens for BIOSIS a completely new market.
- Reduced print and distribution costs by 23% due use of new printing technologies.
- Contributed expertise to redesign of internal production system to meet needs of BIOSIS vendors and customers.
Maxwell MacMillan Group
1986 – 1991
Disclosure Information Group
1984 – 1986
BRS (Bibliographic Retrieval Services)
1980 – 1984
Institute for Scientific Information (ISI)
1974 – 1981
Syracuse University, Master of Science, Library Science
Syracuse University, BA, English Literature
Affiliations: Special Libraries Association, Pragmatic Marketing
- “Think Links: Full-Text Linking Projects,” Online v. 25, no. 1 (Jan/Feb. 2001): p. 40
- “Think Links: Revisited A Year Later,” Journal for Serials Community, v. 15:1 (March 01, 2002): p. 47-50