Expertise in Information Processing
My experience covers more than 25 years in the capture, organization, and presentation of information for traditional and electronic publications. I have sharpened my skills through working with a variety of materials focusing on scholarly works, highly technical publications, legal publications and finding aids. I have managed the conversion and quality control of thousands of pages of material into XML, HTML, or SGML.
Director of Production and Development, Information Publishing Group
Techbooks, Falls Church, VA
Sep 1994 – present
Succeeding job titles of increasing responsibility. During my tenure I have managed as few as 3 people and as many as 25 in the Virginia offices of Techbooks. Under my supervision the managers in New Delhi, India, direct the efforts of a production staff of more than 300 people in the creation of XML, SGML, HTML, and other deliverable materials. I also work closely with sales staff to help close new accounts.
- Established the data conversion department within Techbooks. Data conversion revenue is now the largest profit center in the company.
- Helped to found the Information Publishing Group of Techbooks. IPG specializes in data entry and conversion and grew from $0 in 2001 to nearly $5 million in 2005. The IPG extended Techbooks’ offerings to new markets such as college libraries and aggregators.
- Traveled to the New Delhi offices of Techbooks on a number of occasions to exhaustively restructure production procedures. Focused on different problem areas on each trip.
- Created the Virginia scanning department. Originally intended to process about 100 images a day, the department grew efficient enough to produce as many as 3,000 images in a week with a staff of 3. For many years the scanning department was the only group within Techbooks that did U.S.-based production.
Technical Support Specialist
ATLIS Publishing Services, Silver Spring, MD
1981 – Aug 1994
Titles of increasing responsibility ending with Technical Support Specialist. Over the course of 13 years at ATLIS, I managed a number of overnight turn-around projects while supervising a staff of 6 to 10 as Photocomposition Manager. As Technical Support Specialist, I developed new workflows and trained staff to integrate new procedures to improve routine production.
- Coordinated ATLIS Publishing’s first CD-ROM project.
- Launched ATLIS Publishing’s first relational database project.
- Coordinated ATLIS Publishing’s first TeX-based project.
- Managed ATLIS Publishing’s first directory publication.
- Typeset the first dictionary ever set using ATLIS Publishing’s proprietary composition software.
- Managed ATLIS Publishing’s first SGML-based project.
Project Management Institute (PMI), 2009. Project Management Professional (PMP®)
The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, 1981. B.A. in English with distinction